What Constitutes a Religion?
The necessary features which constitute a religion are a great deal less in magnitude than one might think. There are only two necessary ingredients which are folded into the recipe formulating a religion; a body of tenets which are both compulsory and prohibited testing for falsification. The ingredients of a religion have nothing to do with truth, deities or ceremony. The role of priest can be played by both scientist and credulous alike.
Religion – The compulsory adherence to an idea around which testing for falsification is prohibited
Two necessary components form the fabric of doctrines which can be used to herd the faithful and control the fold. The components have little to do with the subject at hand, its veracity, nor the presence of a supreme personality or ethereal spiritual principle. By pretending that religions only involve supernatural elements and worship of deities, SSkeptics divert attention from the fact that they are priests of a specific religious order, which targets a set of non-falsifiable and highly compulsory belief requirements mandated before one is allowed to be called ‘rational.’ Fortunately, not all scientists agree with the SSkeptics and quietly go about their research, contrary to the desires of the Cabal. There are penalties for such scientists if they are caught researching/discussing unauthorized subjects. Heavy penalties. As a result, what scientists say in public is a bit different than what they will tender in private. This is the key symptom of an enforced religion.
The two features which render a person bound, and unable to extricate themselves from a belief construct (religion) are that its key tenets be characterized by the following.
1. Prohibited Falsification
The key doctrine of a religion, first must pass muster in that it be non-falsifiable. That is to say, that the founding theory, construct or philosophy not be approachable by direct application of the scientific method. The founding idea must be so untouchable, subjective or abstract in its formulation that man, in his current technological state is ill equipped to prove or disprove the contention at hand. Non-falsifiable, of course is not synonymous with un-falsifiable. The mathematical statement 2 + 2 = 4 is an un-falsifiable construct, in that it is proven true in finality. Non-falsifiability simply pertains to our current inability to address the topic in an evidential discovery frame of reference, regardless of whether it is indeed true or not true. This does not mean that the construct at hand cannot ever be dis-proven, rather simply that the religious priest knows that currently, it would constitute a tough challenge for the construct to be placed by our level of technology under the scrutiny of the scientific method; long enough to buy them some important time. Moreover, the condition of ‘cannot be falsified’ includes the condition where SSkeptics block research so that falsification and predictive testing are not permitted because the subject threatens the SSkeptics’ power or Cabal teachings. This also constitutes a condition of ‘cannot be tested for falsification.’ Albeit simply by religious enforecment itself. Examples of religious tenets include
There is an old man with a long white beard and a 20 year-old’s athletic body, who is infallible and omnipotent, who created and rules the entire universe and will soon whisk me away leaving you to rot on this planet in fire and brimstone
Life emerged from the primordial ooze (oozeolution)
Life only emerged on earth
The bad events and the evil state of the universe are all your fault (Original Sin)
There is life in the galaxy but it is all microbial and none of it travels the stars
Raising interest rates is necessary when the economy heats up
Evolution originates from a base of solely random allele drift, culled by other environmental factors
The organs of the body are the result of pure accidents and may possess no current biological function whatsoever
The systems in the body are perfect designs of a creator and only go wrong when we do something wrong
The universe goes on forever and ever
Angels are all around us
Consciousness is only the firing of neurons and the interactions of chemistry
Our person is a soul which resides separate from and lives on after the machine of our body.
None of these items can be proven or dis-proven in our current state of technological practice.* Each may indeed turn out to be true or not true one day – but in the meantime, it is what we do to others with these ideas which demarcates the threshold of whether or not one is seeking to establish or adhere to a religion. Which introduces the second key component comprised by a religion, the ‘doing to others.’
*Notice here however, that Evolution is not a religion under this context, because it CAN be tested for falsification. Were we to find an out of place genome which broke the cladistic progression history, then a component or all of Evolution could be falsified in theory. This has not been the case; however it is this tenable exposure, the risk to be vetted under the experimental looking glass of science, which renders Evolution a science and not a religion. Nihilism ( Big-A Atheism) on the other hand, makes a whole series of claims which are non-falsifiable under the scientific method and is contended to be an essential conclusion on the part of a rational person or by science. Regardless of what one calculates as the likelihoods involved, as such, Nihilism (Big-A Atheism) constitutes a religion.
The key construct must constrain you of course in that you possess an abject lack of ability to disprove it, through our current limited state as man, or through active blocking of research by policing clubs – even if our technology can address the issue. But as well, commensurate with this non-falsifiability constraint, is the door to the same cage, in that the idea must be made compulsory for membership in or entry into a formal or informal club. This does not mean that a governing body need enforce the tenet being pushed, although that applies as well; only that any form of undue pressure be applied on individuals to accept it, through some subjective personal approval means. You are irrational if you do not accept what I am saying. A non-falsifiable construct held for personal inspiration may constitute a faith of sorts, but it only becomes a religion when one begins to require adherence to that construct in order for others to stand approved for entry into my club. Such compulsory enforcements include
- Considerations as enlightened
- Allowing club membership
- Accusations of being stupid
- Media bullying and campaigns
- Religious confirmations
- Career penalties
- To get to heaven or avoid the apocalypse (notice how there is always an apocalypse)
- Mandatory methods of apologetics
- Pat and authorized approaches or answers
- Because it is the ‘simplest explanation’
- Withholding assignments of tenure or position
- Public ridicule, wink and nudge
- Unfavorable personal categorization
- Threats of being ostracized
- Dissertation approval
- Conforming with peer review.
Our dance from this point on more involves tactics, arguments and smoke screens targeting hiding the fact that we are indeed a religion to begin with. One might consider that the third necessary element of being a religion would involve the requirement that the club ironically cite evidence that it is not a religion. But some clubs are not so surreptitious, admitting freely that they are indeed a religious order. Having a religion which requires faith in the admittedly unknown or unknowable is OK. But it is pseudoscience, to create a religion and pretend that it has resulted from application of the scientific method. All of the pressures which are applied in order to bind the club together, are the compulsory sinews of a religion. Once combined with enforcing an idea which our victim is patently unable to disprove, we have done our job.
An additional trap exists inside the principle of Negative Reactance. If you are pissed at your former religious mates, and for the period of time in which you exit that religion and aggressively adopt its antithesis or some, pretense to cover its antithesis, as a form of catharsis or revenge: you are still acting under a religious set of practices. Be very cautious therefore of bifurcation fallacies and philosophies adopted in disgust or disguise. Be honest, calm and objective. If you hold enemies, be careful as you may be susceptible to:
Corollary: Negative Reactance
/religion by default/ : if one adopts a set of tenets or a lie of allegiance, even if that set of beliefs does not qualify as a religion in and of itself, solely as a reaction to a religion one has departed from recently or in the past, and/or as a way of seeking revenge or retribution or cathartic reward over past hurts and regrets regarding one’s membership in the former religion – then one is simply operating inside a duality and indeed has simply adopted another religion.
To put it in the immortal words of Darth Vader “at last, the circle is now complete.” We have established a religion in two simple steps (and a caution).
April 28, 2012 - Posted by The Ethical Skeptic | Agenda Propaganda, Argument Fallacies, Ethical Skepticism, Institutional Mandates, Social Disdain | atheism is a religion, compulsory, definition of religion, non-falsifiability, religion and skeptics, religious skepticism, sceince as a religion, sceptic, skeptic, skepticism is a religion, the skeptic, what is religion
No comments yet.
This blogsite rigorously complies with the Fair Use Act (17 U.S.C. § 107)
“Refreshing to the heart of new and weary seekers of truth alike. Some of the most compelling new philosophy of our time. If you claim to be a skeptic and have not read The Ethical Skeptic, you risk sophomoric bandwagon irrelevancy.” -TRB
“TES, I hope you realize the high quality of material you have produced here. Hopefully you will choose a world stage someday and take personal credit for it. The material is that good.” -AOD
There is a pro-science, educated, rational and resolute movement afoot. A movement of conscience on the part of people just like me. Science and Engineering professionals who apply skepticism daily in their STEMM disciplines, but who nonetheless are raising a warning flag of concern. Welcome to my blog. Within its pages, I hope to portray and teach genuine skepticism, or what is called Ethical Skepticism. Indeed, its mission is to promote the wonder of science through a contrast of authentic skeptical discipline, versus its distorted, pseudo-intellectual and socio-politically motivated counterfeit. I am a graduate level science and engineering professional who faithfully participates in man’s quest for knowledge. I lament however its imprisonment by control driven special interests and vigilante bullying from dogmatic social epistemologists such as science communicating journalists, stage magicians, agenda celebrities, psychologists and oligarch, religious and cartel activists. As you survey my blog, hopefully you will encounter things you’ve personally never considered before. Indeed, its mission is to act as a resource guide for their victims and to foster foremost a discerning perspective for us all on the Cabal of pretenders who abuse and control falsely in the name of science.
A series in parts, which defines the philosophy and outlines the tenets and structure of Ethical Skepticism
A compendium of fallacy and corrupted thought commonly employed inside Social Skepticism
The formal and informal fallacy of deceptively promoting one’s self and ideals through pretense of skepticism
It is plurality, and not the simplest explanation, which bears merit in professional research and the actual scientific method
The compulsory set of core religious beliefs misrepresented as skepticism, atheism, free thinking and science
ABOUT SOCIAL SKEPTICISM AND SSKEPTICS
Social Skepticism is a sponsored activist movement which functions as an integral part of the socially engineered mechanisms attempting to dominate human thought, health, welfare and education. This control serving as means to an end, towards subjection of all mankind’s value to mandated totalitarian institutions. Institutions which avert legal exposure by abusing skepticism to serve their goals. Ends formulated by a social elite; however, which stand threatened by innate elements of mankind’s being and background.
An ideologue driven enforcement therefore of a social epistemology crafted to obfuscate mankind’s understanding of such innate elements. Its members practice a form of vigilante bullying, employed in lieu of science to dismiss disliked subjects, persons and evidence before they can ever see the light of scientific day. Seeking to establish as irrefutable truth a core philosophy of material monism, dictating that only specific authorized life physical and energy domains exist. A comprehensive program of enforcement sought accordingly, through rather than the risk of ethical scientific methodology, instead a practice of preemptive methodical cynicism and provisional knowledge which underpins an embargo policy regarding, cultivates ignorance and institutionalizes intimidation surrounding any subject which could ostensibly serve as a pathway to falsify their power enabling illusory religion of Nihilism.
These pretenders typically have never conducted any science themselves, nor do they represent science or scientific thinking.
Social Skeptics falsely identify themselves as ‘skeptics.’ Indeed rather, SSkeptics are self or institutionally appointed Bernaysian engineering activists, posing as rational and logical subject matter authorities enforcing one specific answer in a broad array of pluralistic topics of contention, while at the same time “doubting“ all other potentialities. Far from actually practicing skepticism and abandoning the scientific method when it does not suit their embargo, SSkeptics seek to intimidate scientists and the media, enforce doctrines lacking scientific basis and imperiously pass them to the public as unassailable truth.
We Are Anonymous http://anonhq.com/
Skeptopathy Magazine http://skeptopathy.com/wp/
Hoofnagle the Science Cat https://www.facebook.com/HoofnagleScienceCat/
Debunking Skeptics http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/
Skeptical about Skeptics http://www.skepticalaboutskeptics.org/
Michael Prescott http://michaelprescott.typepad.com/michael_prescotts_blog/
Brian Martin http://www.bmartin.cc/index.html
My Socrates Note http://my-socrates-note.blogspot.com/?m=1
Facebook Groups https://www.facebook.com/groups/925334447494947/
The Difference Between Ethical and Social Skepticism
Ethical Skepticism is a blend of Empirical and Philosophical Skepticism, the tenets of both of which are vetted as to their efficacy in delivering value and clarity inside man’s knowledge development process. It rejects the abuse of Cartesian Doubt as a racket of a priori simplistic predictive based knowledge, self delusion and Methodical Cynicism. Instead, Ethical Skepticism dictates a mute disposition on any topic which science has not studied or the Ethical Skeptic himself has not studied. Ethical Skepticism petitions for Ockham’s Razor plurality in research when sponsorship has shown adequate necessity, and opposes all efforts to squelch such research.
Ethical Skeptics apply skepticism as one of a set of tools employed inside a life characterized by open curiosity, discipline, observation. They continually investigate in order to ask the right question in accordance with the complete scientific method; not defend the right answer. They bear paramount, the personal and professional ethic of defending the integrity of the knowledge development process. Skepticism is a way of preparing the mind and data sets, in order to accomplish science.
Social Skepticism is false a priori deduction combined with stacked provisional induction used as a masquerade of science method in order to enforce a belief set as constituting science. It is an abuse of Cartesian Doubt as a racket of a priori, simplistic, provisional, risk-ignorant knowledge, self delusion and methodical cynicism. It seeks an embargo of certain aspects of man’s knowledge development process. It rejects Philosophical Skepticism and employs Empirical Skepticism only when its tenets support specific knowledge embargo agendas. Instead of tendering mute disposition on any topic which science has not studied, Social Skepticism corrupts science into methodical cynicism employed to to squelch such research and enforces false interpretations of scientific conclusions to support its embargo goals.
Social Skeptics wear SSkepticism as an identity, apply intimidation and doubt only to subjects they disdain, and enforce an embargo regarding any and all observations or science which might serve to undermine their Cabal authorized ontology. They eschew data collection; instead undertaking social activism and unethical activity, any means necessary to enforce the ‘right answer’ and secure the power of their sponsor institutions. Social Skeptics abuse skepticism to act in lieu of science, not as subset thereof.
- Follow The Ethical Skeptic on WordPress.com
Top Posts & Pages
- No You are Not an Atheist, You are a Nihilist
- Image: The Tree of Knowledge Obfuscation
- Ethical Skepticism - Part 5 - The Real Ockham's Razor
- The Tower of Wrong: The Art of Professional Lying
- What is Social Skepticism?
- Abuse of the Dunning-Kruger Effect
- The Five Types of Null Hypothesis Error
- Essential Eyewitness Testimony is Highly Reliable Despite What SSkeptics Claim
- The Magician's Rush of Fake Skepticism
- Ethical Skepticism - Part 2 - The Riddle of Skepticism
- Formal vs Informal Fallacy and Their Abuse
- Poser Science: Proof Gaming
- Discerning Sound from Questionable Science Publication
- The Tower of Wrong: The Art of Professional Lying
- Dear Journalism Schools We Deserve Better Quality Graduates as Aspiring Science Communicators
- The Ten Indicators of Methodical Genocide
- A Word About Polls
- And I Have Touched the Sky: The Appeal to Plenitude Error
- Contrasting Deontological Intelligence with Cultivated Ignorance
- Nurturing the New Mind: The Disruptive Nature of Ethics
- The Warning Indicators of Stacked Provisional Knowledge
- The Seven Features of Great Philosophy
- Spotting the Humpty Numpty
- The Joy of Sleight-of-Hand Manipulation
- Differentiating Scientific Literacy from Social Propaganda
- How Glyphosate Practices Serve to Increase Our Diet Risk Exposure
- Lies of Which I Disabused Myself Along the Way
- Islam, Corruption and Socialism All Relate in Direct Proportion to Human Suffering
- Ethical Skepticism – Part 8 – The Watchers Must Also Be Watched
- What Corporations Do When Bankrupt of Ideas/Ethics
- The Inverse Problem and False Claims to ‘Settled Science’
- Abuse of the Dunning-Kruger Effect
- The War Against Supplements Continues to Revel in Harmful Pseudoscience
- Ethical Skepticism – Part 7 – The Unexpected Virtue of Allow-For Thinking
- Never Never Land: The Folly of Pretense Concerning Our Cerebral Injury Children
- The Skeptic’s Guide to Dismissing Public Claims of Illnesses
- Foundation Works on Ethical Skepticism
- Deception Through Abuse of the Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc Fallacy
- Major Flaws Within the Neurodiversity Movement
- When Observation Gives Way to Data-Centric Only Science We All Lose
- When a Social Skeptic Claims to be Evidence Based
- Garbage Skepticism: The Definition
- The Correlation-Causality One-Liner Can Highlight One’s Scientific Illiteracy
- Irish Pennants: The Nature of Flawed versus Sound Definitions
- The Nature of Argument
- The Ethical Skeptic’s Argument Assessment Checklist
- No Promenade in the Savage Dance
- The Kuhn-loss Interplay of Scientific Revolution and Resilience
- The Warning Signs that a Social Epistemology is at Play
- Islam Judaism and Christianity: Time to Remove and Renounce Your Holy Verses Celebrating Violence
- The Celeber Cavilla Fallacy
- Are You a Cynic? You Might be Surprised
- The Best Snake Oil is One You Don’t Even Realize is Being Peddled
- Ethical Skepticism – Part 6 – Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say
- Ten Reasons People No Longer Find Skeptics Credible
- The Seven Steps of How I Recovered my Gut Flora and My Health
- No, I Won’t Back Down
- The Dark Side of SSkepticism: The Richeliean Appeal
- On Being a Young Person Contemplating Joining a Faith
- SSkeptic Weapon Word Top 25
- The Malicious Social Lie called Privilege
- The (Ethical Skeptic) Definition of God
- Deconstructing the Rhetoric around What Constitutes Pseudoscience
- Gaming the Lexicology of Ideas through Neologism
- Popper Demarcation Practice and Malpractice
- The Art of Rhetoric
- How You Persuade Makes All the Difference
- How You Say It Makes All the Difference
- Corber’s Burden of Skepticism and The Omega Hypothesis
- The Burden of Proof (in Gumballs)
- Oh, Those Darned Narcissists
- The Five Types of Null Hypothesis Error
- Wittgenstein Error and Its Faithful Participants
- Rationality is Not What False Skeptics Portray
- The Rising Age of the Cartel: Your Freedoms Were Simply an Experiment
- A Mediocracy in 4.0: Discounting College Acceptance Aptitude Testing is a Grave Error
- Aristotle: Discerning the True Skeptic
- iSkeptic – The Three Laws (and a Fourth)
- Why Sagan is Wrong – The Fake Skeptic Detection Kit
- If the New Religiously Unaffiliated are Not Choosing Atheism, Then Just What are They?
- Diagnostic Habituation Error and Spotting Those Who Fall Its Prey
- Nihilism’s Twisting & Turing Denial of Free Will
- The Deontologically Accurate Basis of the Term: Social Skepticism
- Have You Grown Weary of This? There is a Better Path
- A New Ethic
- Why I Don’t Golf
- The Lifecycle of Fake Skepticism – What’s the Harm?
- The Tree of Knowledge Obfuscation
- An Internet Pre-filtered by Authorized Knowledge is a Mistake
- The Misrepresented and So Called ‘War on Science’
- The Ten EnDamnedments – Where the Moral Arc is Headed
- Yes Skeptics Have a PR Problem – Social Skeptics
- When Consensus is Nothing But Pluralistic Ignorance
- The Sorwert Scale of Fake Skepticism
- The Critical Role of Sponsors in the Scientific Method
- An Official ‘Thank You’ to Science Based Medicine
- No You are Not an Atheist, You are a Nihilist
- Methodical Cynicism: The Lyin’tific Method
- Methodical Cynicism: The Presentation
- Your Self is a Mere Illusion of Neurofunction
- Bad Science Being Bad
- The MiHoDeAL Claim to Knowledge
- Ethical Skepticism – Part 4 – The Panoply of Belief
- Latent Demand for Critical Thinking about Skepticism
- The Urgent Need to Reform the ABCD Seed Cartel Science Around Glyphosate
- Hell Hath No Punishment Like Watching Your Children Suffer
- The Magician’s Rush of Fake Skepticism
Site infoThe Ethical Skeptic
Blog at WordPress.com.